I had this at a Memorial Day BBQ in Pittsburgh, PA. It’s soy-free, wheat-free, cheap, and oh-so-tasty. I mentioned it to a friend and she pointed me to this blog post by Sara of Vegangelical.
I recommend reading her post, but here it is in three easy steps.
- Make BBQ sauce.
- Saute two cans of young green jackfruit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Simmer the jackfruit in the BBQ sauce for 1.5 to 2 hours. That’s it.
This recipe is so easy, though it does take a while to make the BBQ sauce. You’ll need to get the jackfruit in brine or water, NOT in syrup. I got mine from an Asian grocery for .79 a can.
I don’t have a set recipe for BBQ sauce, but here’s the basics:
- 1 medium onion
- 2 32oz cans of tomatoes (diced or crushed works best)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon each garlic, chilli, and cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke (hickory seasoning)
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- approximately 1 cup turbinado sugar, agave syrup, or maple syrup
Saute onions. I sometimes use a little bit of rum or Irish whisky to add depth to the overall flavor. Throw in the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for two to three hours, stirring occasionally, and add spices or other ingredients to taste. Enjoy!